Up next is the KGB Leech fly fishing pattern ... and this one is quickly becoming one of our favourite leech patterns for both early spring and late fall fly fishing in the BC Interior!
Over the last few years we've been trialing different leech patterns to compliment the proven Triple F leech. Now don't get us wrong, the Triple F Leech is an awesome BC Interior fly fishing pattern, but hey one can never have too many leech patterns right! So, one evening while flipping through Philip Rowley's book, Fly Patterns for Stillwater: A Study of Trout Entomology and Tying, we came across "Glenn's Leech". We liked it right away for a couple of reasons; 1) the rabbit strip tail would be much more durable than the Triple F's marabou and 2) it's scud hook platform seemed more applicable for micro leeches.
At this point we considered simply going with Glenn's leech but, in staying with the concept of durability, we decided to replace it's marabou body with a wire dubbing loop. And while we were at it we threw in a bead for some extra flash and extra weigh to help get it, and keep it, in the zone. The result ... Krazy's version of Glenn's leech, with a Bead ... was born! And after a years worth of test driving it through every type of stillwater scenario that we could think of, the KGB leech fly fishing pattern has becomes another proven BC interior fly pattern that has earned a permanent home in our fly boxes!
Well I'm sure you clicked on this post to learn how to tie a productive BC interior fly fishing leech pattern and not to hear us ramble on about its origin so, with out further a do, here's the recipe .......
* This particular KGB leech fly fishing pattern is tied with black & red dubbing and a red glass bead head. The variations however are endless so mix it up to your liking. Olive/gold bead, brown/copper bead and wine (maroon)/red bead have also proven quite successful!
KGB Leech Fly Fishing Pattern Materials:
- Hook: Mustad Signature C49S OR Togen Scud - #8
- Bead: Red Glass
- Tail: Rabbit Strip
- Tail Flash: Red Krystal Flash
- Body: Wire Dubbing Brush (fine silver wire / black with red dubbing)
KGB Leech Fly Fishing Pattern Tying Instructions:
- Place bead on hook, start tying thread behind bead & wrap thread down to hook bend.
- Tie in rabbit strip for tail.
- Add 2 strands of Krystal flash to tail - wind thread to head.
- Tie in wire dubbing brush & tie it down to the hook bend - return thread to head.
- Wind wire dubbing brush up & tie off behind bead at head.
- Whip finish - krazy glue ..... and you're done!
KGB Leech Fly Fishing Pattern - The Video:
And if the wire dubbing brush is not your thing (yet), don't despair .......
For a slightly different but equally effective variation of the KGB leech fly pattern simply substitute the wire dubbing brush body with plastic chenille.
Inspired by Brian Chan's Plastic Chenille leech, this variation of the KGB leech fly is still very strong with the addition of providing a great deal of glitter ... extremely effective in the early spring and late fall when attractor patterns seem to be the ticket. 😉
Well that's it folks ......... spring is here so tie some up and give it a go!
Incoming Search Terms:
- leech patterns
- fly tying leech patterns
- leech fly
- leech flies
- kgb leech
- top chironomid patterns must have
- kissing leech fly pattern
- Brian Chan Chironomids
- leech pattern
- best leech patern for fly tieing