The Pheasant Tail Nymph is one of the oldest of modern fly fishing patterns. Originally designed as a general imitation to many of the thin nymphs that exist in rivers, streams and stillwaters worldwide, it’s success in representing nymphs of the Baetis family allowed it to quickly become world famous.
In this flyguys.net version of the PTN we have added a bead head and a flashback wing case to better represent the ready to emerge mayfly nymph … two modifications that we have noticed to greatly increase our success with the fly! The trout love it and therefore so do we!
- Thread: Brown- 8/0
- Hook: Togen Natural Bend – Size #14
- Bead: Togen Copper – Size 3/32
- Body: Pheasant Tail – Natural
- Rib: Copper Wire – Size Small
- Thorax: Peacock Herl
- Wing Case: Pearl Mylar
- Tail: Pheasant Tail -Natural
- Head Cement: “krazy” Glue
Fish this fly near or on weedy bottoms of shallows, shoals and drop offs. In the absence of an emergence imitate the nymph crawling amongst the weeds by working the fly slowly along the bottom with a few short quick jerks thrown in every 20 to 30 seconds. During a hatch retrieve the fly slowly but steadily upward through the water column with a pause for several seconds every once in a while.
* for more information on the traits & techniques to fish mayflies check out our mayfly page!
Incoming Search Terms:
- patteerns for pheasent tail nymph
- peasant tail flies
- pheasant tail pattern
- pheasant tail nymph pattern
- pheasant tail nymph instructions
- Pheasant tail nymph bead
- pheasant tail flashback
- beadhead flashback pheasant tail nymph
- patern for fishing fly The flashback
- fly-tying pattern / flashback pheasant tail