KKK Chironomid Pupa Fly Pattern …
Here’s another fly pattern guaranteed to produce fish over the next few months, or any time that chironomids are hatching.
Like our little black & red chironomid fly, the KKK chironomid pupa fly works great in all the best Kamloops area fly fishing lakes in the BC interior AND it’s durable, simple to tie and proven effective!
KKK Chironomid Pupa Fly | Materials List:
The KKK is tied on Mustad’s signature C49 or Togen Scud hooks. The bead is a simple and inexpensive white glass, the body is made from silver holographic tinsel and the rib is red holographic tinsel or red wire.
These materials work great to imitate the sheen of the ready to hatch chironomid pupa and it’s blood red rib. As well, the materials allow for the ability to keep the pattern thin – even when tying very small patterns – a feature that we believe is crucial to effective chironomid pupae imitations. Although optional, this particular pupa has a peacock herl collar, tie it with or without to your preference. Top it off with some krazy glue for even more shine and you’ve got a simple yet deadly, and virtually indestructible, chromie kkk chironomid pupa fly pattern that is a proven fish catching machine!
KKK Chironomid Pupa Fly | Tying Instructions:
- Start by placing the bead on the hook and then start the tying thread right behind the bead.
- Tie in the two colours of holographic tinsel and wrap then down to the bend of the hook – return the tying thread to just behind the bead.
- Wrap the silver holographic tinsel up to the bead and tie it off behind the bead.
- Wrap the red holographic tinsel up to behind the bead in wide winds (to create the rib) and tie it off behind the bead as well.
- Optional: Tie in and wrap a strand of peacock herl right behind the bead.
- Whip finish the fly right behind the bead.
- Coat entire body with krazy glue and let dry.
KKK Chironomid Pupa Fly | Tying Video:
… sans herl collar
That’s all there is to, no fuss no muss, no expensive body materials or tungsten beads, just a simple tie and an earned reputation for success!
KKK Chironomid Pupa Fly |Fishing it …
Fish the KKK Chironomid pupa fly as you would any chironomid pupa pattern – still or very slow moving and “in the zone”! You can use the long line chironomid method with a floater or use the full sinking line chironomid method right below the boat for deeper water. Either way, if you find the right size and depth the KKK will perform when the bows are on chronies!
Give it a shot – as far as fly tying goes it really doesn’t get any easier than this. If, however, you would rather have us tie some for you please contact us with the specifications. 😉
*** if you’re interested in custom tied, time tested & proven effective BC Interior fly patterns, but would rather buy than tie, please Contact us for details!
*** for more effective BC stillwater fly fishing patterns be sure to check out all of flies on our BCs best fly patterns index page!
Incoming Search Terms:
- chironomid patterns
- best chironomid fly patterns
- chironomid fly patterns bc
- chironomid pupa patterns
- chironomids pupa
- Chironomid Pupa Fly Patterns
- best chironomids patterns
- chromie fly pattern
- chromie chironomid pattern
- chironomid pupa fly pattern